• Shreveporttimes.com • Weather • Calendar • Jobs • Cars • Real Estate • Apartments • Shopping • Classifieds • Dating

Monday, October 02, 2006

I need some hockey

The NFL and college football seasons are in full swing and the MLB playoffs begin tomorrow night, but I really need some hockey. The season begins on Wednesday, and this year's race toward the Stanley Cup is as wide open as its ever been.

Hockey may not be one of the top-three sports, or top-10 sports for that matter, but I still get excited about the start of the season. Nobody may watch the sport on TV, but hockey is the best sport to see live hands down. Any sports fan should really see one live NHL game once in their life to see what I mean.

I'm taking my girlfriend home to Michigan for Thanksgiving, and one of the first things I asked her was if she wanted to see the Detroit Red Wings play. One phone call to my brother, and we've secured four tickets for the Red Wings and Vancouver game the night before Thanksgiving. I don't know who's more excited, me or my girlfriend.

As great as the NHL is, I love watching Michigan play in its home, Yost Arena. It was built in the early 1920's and is a bandbox of an arena. They recently added luxury boxes to the rink and they practically hang out over the ice. It's a fantastic atmosphere to watch a game, complete with a pep band and the most rabid fans I've ever been a part of.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home