• Shreveporttimes.com • Weather • Calendar • Jobs • Cars • Real Estate • Apartments • Shopping • Classifieds • Dating

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Old School

So I'm flipping through the channels on the satellite dish and I come across a Bill Russell interview on the NBA channel.

As the interview continued, the subject of the Chicago Bulls' 70-win team came up.

Russell tells the interviewer his Celtics could have taken the Bulls in five. He goes on to say both John Havlicek and Sam Jones were better players than Scottie Pippen. He says all four of his team's guards are in the Hall of Fame.

Now, Bill Russell was a great player - in his time. I have my doubts about Russell going up against O'Neal or Olajuwon or even Patrick Ewing. And I have my doubts as to whether Havlicek really was better than Pippen. And as for the four Hall of Famers, the pre-expansion NBA has a lot to do with that.

My bigger problem is how older generations never seem to give credit to younger generations and vice versa.

Russell, to his credit, did admit that his Celtics would have had trouble with Jordan.

But let's face reality - athletes are bigger, stronger and faster today (although not always by natural means).

We'll never know how that Bulls team and Russell's Celtics teams would have matched up. All we have is history, records and arguments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home