• Shreveporttimes.com • Weather • Calendar • Jobs • Cars • Real Estate • Apartments • Shopping • Classifieds • Dating

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Ryder Cup rant

I'll be the first person to admit that I'm not Mr. Golf. However, even someone like myself can plainly see an injustice in the way Ryder Cup points are awarded.

Case in point, Sunday's British Open and B.C. Open.

Chris DiMarco finishes second at the British Open, two shots back of Tiger Woods. For finishing second to the No. 1 player in the world, DiMarco earned 360 points.

Across the pond, John ("I'm no relation to Tree") Rollins wins the B.C. Open by one stroke over Bob May. For beating what amounts to a glorified Hooters field, Rollins earns 375 Ryder Cup points.

Are you kidding me? Finishing second in a major isn't as good as winning some Podunk PGA Tour event?

Please. You can't tell me that finishing in the top 10 at the British Open isn't harder than winning the B.C. Open. I just won't buy that.

Yes, I realize the points are already weighted toward the majors. But they should give even more weight to the majors considering the difficulty of those events.

Chris DiMarco got screwed on this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home