• Shreveporttimes.com • Weather • Calendar • Jobs • Cars • Real Estate • Apartments • Shopping • Classifieds • Dating

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

If I may offer a suggestion ...

Louisiana Tech is searching for a new football coach having fired Jack Bicknell. I don't know what the Bulldog Nation expects for its new coach, but I have one man in mind who might fit the bill for what LaTech needs ... former Iowa State coach Dan McCarney.

He comes from a BCS conference, he already has years of experience as a head coach, he is the most alumni friendly head coach as you'll find anywhere. Dan is a great salesman of his program and his university, he is one of very few head coaches who will call you back himself AND pick up the phone when you call his office. He built the Iowa State program to the point where young Iowa high schoolers really would have some thinking to do when they had offers from both Iowa State and Iowa.

On the recruiting front, where better than this part of the country to find high school talent and he would come with relationships already established with the rich Midwest junior college programs.

I realize Bulldog fans will look at McCarney's record this past season and roll their eyes at my suggestion. However, if you only knew from how far down Iowa State was throughout its history to where McCarney built it today, you'd understand why I make the recommendation.

Believe me, Bulldog Nation, you could do much worse than McCarney.

1 Comments:

Blogger BigWheelChamp said...

Excellent recommendation Mr. Messerly! I couldn't agree more.

After dealing with Iowa State's trips to the Independence Bowl, I got to meet coach McCarney. Though it was a couple of years between visits, he remembered me and was very cordial.

If a guy can build up Iowa State, which only had a tradition of winning football in the WWII days, he can certainly do the same for Louisiana Tech.

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home